Here's a formal request to make it easier to distribute PySide2 using a wheel.
- Portable (do not require Qt installed, bundle it in the wheel)
- Pip-installable (without compiling during install), distributed via PyPi.
- Compatible with Python 2.7 and 3.5/3.6
- Bundle the pyside2-uic binary and make it work without errors: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/PYSIDE-357
- Review and rewrite setup.py. It's not up to today's standards in terms of packaging.
- Definitively include PySide2.QtUiTools (requires Qt Creator on build) and requires fixing https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/PYSIDE-552
- Built against Qt 5.6
- Add some form of way of figuring out which version of PySide2 is used: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/PYSIDE-557 (or better, maintain the _version_ string)
- Windows, macOS and "Manylinux" support
You may argue that PySide2 is not yet at a stable release, but users are starting to rely on it – and although I don't want to get political – I see PySide2 already loosing out on adoption because of this hurdle. I far too often see people move to PyQt5 just because you can just pip-install that and move on with work/life and achieve results.
|For Gerrit Dashboard: PYSIDE-558|
|207295,2||May patchqt have a limited life span!||5.9||qt/qttools||Status: NEW||+1||0|
|210033,10||Fix rpath handling on macOS||5.6||pyside/pyside-setup||Status: MERGED||+2||0|
|210090,16||Make standalone option work on macOS||5.6||pyside/pyside-setup||Status: MERGED||+2||0|
|210261,13||Fix rpath handling on Linux||5.6||pyside/pyside-setup||Status: MERGED||+2||0|
|210287,10||Make standalone option work on Linux||5.6||pyside/pyside-setup||Status: MERGED||+2||0|
|210602,10||Make standalone installations relocatable||5.6||pyside/pyside-setup||Status: MERGED||+2||0|
|210611,8||Update description of standalone option in setup.py||5.6||pyside/pyside-setup||Status: MERGED||+2||0|
|210906,5||Make standalone option work on Windows||5.6||pyside/pyside-setup||Status: MERGED||+2||0|
|227248,11||Split and move various setup.py parts into different files||5.9||pyside/pyside-setup||Status: MERGED||+2||0|