From the discussions at QtCS between Lars Knoll, Gunnar Sletta and John Layt on printing in Qt5.
Tasks to be done:
1) Separate PDF generator out from current printing code as new public class in QtGui for 5.0. To be done in Qt5 refactor branch.
2) Separate existing printing code from QtGui into new module QtPrintSupport for 5.0, mark as Done. To be done in Qt5 refactor branch. This repository will be used by QtWidgets and will contain both QPrinter, the various print dialog classes and the print preview dialog.
3) Clone new module QtPrint to refactor into new api/class structure, release later (5.1?)
Some issues to investigate:
- Mac using Qt PDF support for work flow
- Windows support
- Using QPaintBuffer
- QTextEdit print function
- Community coding resources to implement QtPrint
- As libQtPrintSupport will be used by libQtWidgets and libQtPrint will be used by new modules, there is a very good chance that both will be loaded in the same process. Naming clashes between the modules must therefore be avoided.