I used qmake to create VC++ 2008 .vproj projects from a .pro file. Everything fine. Then I switched to Qt 4.8.0 and VC++ 2010. I changed my command lines to create .vcxproj files instead of .vcproj files. This worked but VC++ 2010 fails to load the result .vcxproj files by a parsing error.
I had a look on the .vcxproj's XML code and I think I found the problem. My .pro contains additional include paths. One of those paths (of an external library) uses a folder name "Headers & Libs". This folder name is copied into the .vcxproj result file. However the character "&" is a reserved character in XML and cuases the VC++ parser to bail out.
I think this is a nasty qmake bug. qmake should escape any strings bevore copying them into XML!