While porting a large Qt project to Android, I ran into the command line length limit while linking in windows. After trying all the quick and dirty tricks to shorten the command line, I found that the Android build uses the "Unix" makefile generator rather than the "Mingw" one. The Mingw generator know that windows has this problem and uses QMAKE_LINK_OBJECT_MAX to determine when it should use a link object script. The Unix generator appends every object to the command regardless of size.
If the unix makefile generator allowed generation of a linker object script, this would resolve this frustrating problem in an elegant way.
An alternative would be to have qmake use the MINGW generator for the windows android-g++ spec. This almost works, but runs into the problem that qmake always appends ".exe" to the android shared library name, breaking the installation and deployment steps.