1) Even if the connection method drop-down is set to manual, the setting window conjures up an address in the address space 169.254.x.x, which means "the computer has physical ethernet Link, but cannot get an IP address from your router."
2) Now I can save and then go to edit, but then the connection method drop-down is DHCP.
3) Selecting manual will again result in the 169.254.x.x being conjured up
4) Now I can't edit the text field for the address.
5) go back, select manual and edit again. Clicking save doesn't save the new address, and going back still shows the old address.
6) go all the way out from the network settings, go back, edit in 192.168.1.2, set the host to 192.168.1.3, try to connect. The connection will fail with no route.
7) go all the way out from the network settings, go back, see that there's a 169.254.x.x address again.
8) go back out again, go back, notice that there's a different 169.254.x.x address. Use that from the host and everything works fine.