Consider building Qt WebEngine with Clang on Windows. Upstream Chromium switched to clang as default toolchain on Windows a while ago:
(Upstream) Reasons given for the switch:
- clang works better with distributed build systems
- same toolchain for all platforms
- clang seems to be slower than MSVC
- clang binaries are reportedly bigger
- at time of writing, it still requires a full Visual Studio installation (uses VS headers + linker)
Things to find out:
- Which version of Clang is supported & where to get it?
- Are Clang and MSVC binary compatible enough that we can mix a VS build of Qt with a Clang build of Qt WebEngine?
- depends on
QTBUG-74832 Support building webengine with win32-clang-msvc
- relates to
QTBUG-50804 Windows: Clang support
- resulted in
QTBUG-86092 H264 disabled in Windows with MSVC