Type: User Story
Priority: P2: Important
Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: 6.5
Ready-made support for Raspberry Pi 4 native Debian based Rpi OS. A QBSP file for easier Qt Creator integration for getting configurations done.
Simplified steps for enabling Qt DC using Raspberry Pi OS 64-bit :
- Take Debianized Qt6 packages, being done for Debian 12 by the new Qt6 Debian maintainers group and by consultant and DA team for Debian 11 (QTBUG-100385)
- Using the containerised toolchain in QTCREATORBUG-22362 - Creator container support should be good enough now - create a container with toolchain including the compiler, Qt binary and sysroot etc needed to cross-compile Debian 11/12-based arm64 Qt 6.2.3 binary for Raspberry Pi HW.
- Create a QBSP for easy setup on Creator side containing (specifically no images in the QBSP, but as already done on B2Qt side creator configuration should allow to specify "build containers" within the Kit description so that qbsp can tell creator, which container to use and set it up):
- installer scripts for setting the package up using the container created in step 2. Qt binaries would be obtained using apt-get and would not be available in the container.
- Instructions on how to get the whole thing working in Raspberry PI4 with Raspberry OS installer
- Place the container in dockerhub: https://hub.docker.com/
- Try a simple Qt for Python UI app on top of the installed Qt on Raspberry Pi HW.
Qt DC versus OSS Qt vs EDU licence: The work in this ticket is done for OSS Qt, thus the OSS image cannot contain Commercial only features, such as QDB daemon. Please see the following ticket for details on the related EDU licence https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTPMO-1473.
As part of Qt DC Add-on model QTBUG-77799 it should also be possible for commercial customer to add the commercial only missing bits easily. If not possible, then we may need both a OSS Qt and Commercial Qt support separately.
Envisioned steps for Developer with the ready package:
- Install Raspberry OS onto Raspbery Pi4 HW
- Use apt-get and download and install Qt6 for Debian
- Download QBSP for Raspberry OS
- Develop app using Qt for Python
- Follow instructions and get developed application depoloyed to the Raspberry Pi HW with Creator. The containerised toolchain provides a traditional image that can be deployed to the target HW as before, over QDB (EDU and Commercial licence holders only) or otherwise.